Thursday, January 7, 2010

Is it safe to use human shampoo on a 4 mos old kitten?

I have a four month old kitten. And I was using flea shampoo on her because it said that you could use it if they were up to 12 weeks of age or older and when I called the vet to ask about her fleas (which she shouldn't have had because I was giving her the bath) the vet told me that I shouldn't use that shampoo or the flea collars. So I stopped using that. But now she kind of smells. So I was wondering if it would be safe to use my shampoo on her just for the time being. I know that it's not formulated for kittens or cats, and it's not medicated. But I really have to do something about her smell. So if anyone knows the answer to this (and has some kind of back up explaining where you got this information....) it would be so helpful.


Thank you...and I look forward to your help!!Is it safe to use human shampoo on a 4 mos old kitten?
I've used baby shampoo on one of my kittens and it smelled great. Flea shampoo is okay, but doesn't really work against fleas- neither do the collars. If the kitten's over 2 lbs, you should get her some kitten advantage or something for after her bath. I almost always bathe my cats with the flea shampoos; even though they don't work for fleas, they work for bad smells. Regular human shampoo can dry out a cat's skin. If she's extra stinky, your local petsmart might have some deshedding shampoo for cats- that's what we use at work.Is it safe to use human shampoo on a 4 mos old kitten?
My friend uses a gentle baby shampoo for the cats as it smell nice and is gentle. And if it ever gets into the cat's eyes, it should not irritate as it is of tear-free formulation. The cats smell really nice after that. (Cats do not really have smell, in the first place.) You might want to try out pet wipes to wipe your kitten and also change the litter regularly so that she doesn't dirty herself while pooping or peeing. It doesn't sound like too good an idea to use your shampoo on her though...
Antigone is absolutely right. Kittens shouldn't smell unless she has gotten into something and rolled in it. People shampoo is hard on a cat's skin and should be avoided. Try just rinsing her off with warm water and seeing if that doesn't help. Maybe rub in a little dry oatmeal first. I would take her to the Vet and see what is causing the smell, that is not normal for a kitten
Cats shouldn't smell. They clean themselves and you shouldn't have to bathe her. I have never bathed my cats. And kittens should not be given flea collars or medication if they don't have them. It weakens their immune systems. Is she rolling in stuff or is her litter box clean? Do not shampoo her with anything. Perhaps you are just super sensitive to something?
I don't know if it is safe, but we use people shampoo on my cats all the time, I have had cats all my life, and they are all and have been healthy.
I think if you used a gentle baby shampoo it would be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment