Thursday, January 7, 2010

Shampoo / soap safe for my guinea pig?

I really don't want to have to buy a shampoo from the pet store if I don't have to. What should I avoid when using my own shampoo or soap from home to bathe my guinea?Shampoo / soap safe for my guinea pig?
You can not use any human shampoo or soap products, they are wayy to harsh on a guinea pigs skin. Guinea pigs have very sensitive skin and washing to often or using the wrong shampoo can dry the skin out and irritate it.





Any small animal shampoo should be ok, I would recommend Bunny Bath by Four Paws. There is some helpful information on the following site (scroll down a bit):


http://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html





Washing should only be done if it is completely necessary, a good example would be a dirt bum in which case you could probably get away with doing a spot wash. When washing use luke warm water, so that it covers the feet, add the shampoo. Remember only wash from the neck down.





ETA:


Even baby shampoos or soap products are too harsh on the skin, stick with small animal shampoo, even better do not wash at all.Shampoo / soap safe for my guinea pig?
if u dont want to buy the shampoo then i suggest u dont bathe him at all human shampoo will make thier skin all dry and flaky an dhe might get an infection
Do not use any kind of human shampoo on your pig. It is all too harsh, even baby shampoo. Only use small animal shampoo or kitten shampoo.





Don't bathe your pig unless you have to. If you cannot get any proper shampoo and you HAVE to bath your pig, just use warm water.
you won't kill your pet but it isn't healthy for him/her at all. Her/his coat/skin will come very dry and that can become an irrate for the piggie.
Buy baby shampoo, or soapless soap for babies with sensitive skin. It has a no tears formula (but avoid getting it in and around their face anyways.) Also, its very gentle. I use it for bathing my animals when I dont have time to run out to the vet or the pet store.
umm avoid lets see..GETTING IT IN THE EYES..n avoid the face...i dont think anything will matter use good smelling stuff =] hehee well if it starts squeeking rinse n rinse n dry it
use johnson %26amp; johnson no tear baby shampoo. or aything no-tear. That is what my vet told me when i had a guinea pig
No you will only end up killing your pet because it might and try to drink the soap or shampoo.
I always used baby shampoo. I wouldnt use your own shampoo cause it is harsh and if it accidently gets in his eyes that wouldnt be good. Just use regualr tear free baby shampoo.
Hehe... DON'T use soap from home... It killed my bunny!

2 comments:



  1. I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks.

    Best Shampoo for Kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use this soap from scoops its a little salon for kids at great wolf lodge on my :/ one pig what's gonna happen in scared I don't wanna lose him

    ReplyDelete