Thursday, January 7, 2010

Would it be safe to bath our dog using human shampoo?

In studies performed at several laboratories, it has been shown that dog shampoo and human shampoo are very little different..I will post a link to show you. Anyway, I have several LONG haired, huge dogs, and bathe them all in Fructis, and I use Fructis conditioner.. It keeps them lovely and their hair easy to manage..and no dry skin or flakes...I recenly had 2 of them done at the groomers, and they are both itchy and flaky..so I need to re-do it at home. .Next time I will take the groomer my shampoo..lol





We dog owners have bought into the marketing hype, and have created a huge market for pet shampoos, just as we did for the well advertised dog foods. It keeps the industry happy.





This from Dr. Mike, DVM: http://www.vetinfo.com/dhair.html#Shampo鈥?/a>


Question: Dear Dr Mike,





I have searched your site and the only references to bathing or shampoo I


can find have to do with skin problems. Do you see any problem with using


';people'; shampoo on dogs, especially if it's a premium type like that sold


in hair salons? Our dog does not have any type of skin or fur problems.





Thanks, RTV





Answer: RTV-





I saw a study once, which I couldn't find to supply the reference for,


which was a review of the ingredients of various pet and people shampoos,


as well as a test of factors like pH and eye irritation. In the study, the


authors could find no significant differences between pet shampoos and


people shampoos. So I tell my clients to use whatever they like, or have on


hand.





I am sure that some shampoos work better on any particular dog than others


but that the brands that work well for that one dog may not be the best for


another dog.





I think that this information is probably also true for conditioners but


have not seen any reviews of the various conditioners to prove or disprove


that.Would it be safe to bath our dog using human shampoo?
Yes but use conditioner as well,because it can make the dog's skin dry !!Would it be safe to bath our dog using human shampoo?
only as a last resort if you dont have any dog/puppy shampoo but use baby shampoo.
No human shampoo will dry out the skin. Only ever use a dog shampoo because it is PH balance for the dogs skin. Our shampoo removes to many of the oils from the dogs coat cause itching and irritation.





This came right from a web sight called a world for pet care:





Qoute:


While many do use human shampoos on their dogs, it is better not to. Human skin is more acidic than dog skin, and dog and cat skins are much thinner than that of a human. Other differences exist too, all of which means that for the optimum health of your pet鈥檚 skin, you should use shampoos designed for pets, not humans, when bathing your pets.
No. But the best shampoo I have ever found is called Bio-Groom. It's a horse shampoo! But it got rid of the 'hot spot' my dog had for years. It also has a built in flea protection, and leaves his coat so shiny that people ask me what I use on him. He's a black lab.





Good luck..oh, you should be able to find it at a 'Feed Store.'
I've used human bubble bath soap on my dogs in lieu of doggie shampoo when we've run out, just make sure you don't get any water or soap into their eyes or ears. If you want to be extra careful, use baby shampoo.
I've used Johnson and Johnson ';No More Tears'; baby shampoo on my Pomeranian. It's very gentle and it makes him smell so good! My vet even gave me the ok, because the dog shampoo I was using was too harsh.
Yes... I use conditioner on my dog. Makes her smell pretty!
The whole purpose of having seperate shampoos for dogs and for humans is because our skin if different. A dogs skin is about 4 times more sensitive than human skin. Using a shampoo for humans on dogs will dry out their skin, causing itching and flaking. Many people use ';baby'; shampoo and claim they see no difference. But why take the risk?
I used to use strawberry shampoo on my dog, and she lived to be twelve. If you use human shampoo, use conditioner, too.
no!!!!! Their skin is different, their hair is different, their oils are different. You need dog shampoo, b/c if you use human shampoo their skin may become very irritated and they may scratch themselves to the point of bleeding
Any type of baby shampoo, these have less harsh chemicals and wont soak thru you pets coat. Shampoos for adults have more added chemilcals and fragrances which will irritate your animals coat......if you must you adult shampoo use castile....
No, it's not a good idea. You need to use a shampoo made for dogs.
No, human shampoos have an entirely different PH level. Also the perfumes and other additives can cause an allergic reaction.
NO! It is the wrong pH. It will do more harm than good.
Baby shampoo would be best, or ';Dawn'; dish detergent
My aunt uses baby shampoo on all of her dogs, puppies and ferrits and they are all in great health. I don't see what's wrong with it so go ahead!
Never use human products on your pets. A dog's skin has a different ph from ours and scented products can cause other dogs to attack your dog because of the ';odd'; smell.


Years ago in New York dog perfume became a fad until dog attacks rose dramatically. I personally have known a dog whose owners bathed it in Pert shampoo (cause they liked the smell) and whose dog was continually attacked. They switched to a dog shampoo and their dog had no more troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment